LAST UPDATED: 6/21/2017
Our visitors’ privacy is important to us, and we recognize the need to provide additional privacy protection for children on the Thegratefulchild Sites permitting such visitors. Our privacy practices are guided by the United States’ Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998, as well as data privacy laws in the United States and other applicable countries. Younger visitors should always check with their parents or guardians before entering information on any website or mobile application and we encourage families to discuss their household guidelines regarding the online sharing of personal information.
|WHAT INFORMATION WE COLLECT||In general, we collect two types of information:
|HOW WE STORE SUCH INFORMATION.||We take reasonable precautions against the unauthorized access to or loss of your information, always with the goal of keeping our security up to date as cyber threats change. Despite such precautions, there is always a chance of unauthorized access to or loss of your information. If you think a third party has accessed your information, please contact us immediately as instructed below.|
|HOW WE USE SUCH INFORMATION.||In general, the submissions we collect are to create a way to connect our youths ‘grateful thoughts’. We want to collect as little information as necessary to protect your child. We are looking for first name, generalized location, generalized age, an email only if they would like to submit one (this is not necessary for submission) their grateful thought, and a picture if they would like submit one(again this is not necessary for submission). This information is used to build ‘grateful pages’ for a book to connect these grateful children. The information will also be used to analyze information between age groups and location as well. We believe this will give insight to how are youth is thinking and progressing. These results will be made public in the near future.|
|INFORMATION WE SHARE WITH THIRD PARTIES.||Depending upon the circumstances, we may share collected information with (a) law enforcement or others as needed to protect or defend our rights and the rights of others; (b) Public files will be made available only for research purposes. Pictures and email will only be shared with parental consent, otherwise the only attributes we will allow to be shared are Age Group, Location, and your child’s ‘grateful thought’.|
|WHAT INFORMATION OTHERS MAY COLLECT.||Third parties may collect and disclose certain identifiers, like IP address or cookie information, solely for the support of the internal operations of the Thegratefulchild Sites, such as providing content or allowing features to run on the Thegratefulchild Sites, and using analytics and other tools to improve the quality and performance of the Thegratefulchild Sites|
|YOUR CONTROL OVER YOUR INFORMATION.||You have the right to access, update and correct factual inaccuracies in any personally identifiable information we collect about you.
You can stop the delivery of e-mail messages from the Thegratefulchild Sites by following the instructions in e-mails you receive.
Parents and guardians can review any personally identifiable information collected about their children and request that such information be deleted and/or that no further information be collected. Due to the limited amount of information we acquire, this will need to be done through blocking IP address for the submission form url. This still leaves other internet access to get through, so beware of this. We will try our best to accomodate your needs, and respect your privacy.
|WHO WE ARE||If you have any questions about our information handling practices, including our practices with respect to children’s personal information, please contact us at:
I.INFORMATION COLLECTION AND USE.
Information through direct submission
- We ask for limited information to ensure privacy and protection for your child. The requirements to submit on our page are the following attributes: First Name, State of location, Age Group, ‘grateful thought’.
- The other fields are File Upload i.e. a picture of what you are grateful for, and an email. These are not required to submit a ‘grateful thought’ but are welcome.
Information we automatically collect
- Computer Information Collected by Us: When visitors come to a Site, we may automatically collect certain information from their computers or mobile devices, such as the type of computer operating system (e.g., Windows XP or Mac OS), the visitor’s IP address, the web browser (e.g., Internet Explorer, Safari, Chrome and Firefox), UDID (for certain mobile devices), information about the websites visited before and after visiting the Site, the web pages and advertisements viewed and links clicked on within the Thegratefulchild Sites, interactions with e-mail messages sent by a Site or the Viacom family of companies (e.g., links clicked on and whether the messages were opened or forwarded), information collected through the use of unique identifiers such as cookies (see below), information regarding the Internet service provider, and other standard server log information (“Computer Information”).
By visiting a Site, whether as a registered user or otherwise, you acknowledge, understand and hereby agree that you are giving us your consent to set and access Cookies on your device and track your activities and your use of a Site through these Tracking Technologies and Identifiers and that we may use Tracking Technologies in the emails we send to you.
The Thegratefulchild Sites do not allow for Online Behavioral Advertising. Thegratefulchild does not behaviorally target advertising to any of its users who visit the site.
You have a number of options with respect to the Tracking Technologies set by the Thegratefulchild Sites:
- You can prevent the use of certain Tracking Technologies (other than Flash cookies) by using the controls in your Web browser. To do so, you must complete both of the steps following your browser type below:
- Internet Explorer
- Delete existing Tracking Technologies through the “Internet Options” sub-option of the “Tools” menu option of your browser or otherwise as directed by your browser’s support feature; and
- Disable future Tracking Technologies by using the same browser controls. Additional information on disabling most Tracking Technologies may be available through your browser’s support feature. (See the “help” section of your browser for more information.)
- Internet Explorer
- Google Chrome
- Delete existing Tracking Technologies through the “Clear Browsing Data…” sub-option of the “Tools” menu option of your browser or otherwise as directed by your browser’s support feature; and
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Delete existing Tracking Technologies through the “Clear Recent History…” sub-option of the “History” menu option of your browser or otherwise as directed by your browser’s support feature; and
- Mozilla Firefox
- You may be able to have the device you use to access the Thegratefulchild Sites warn you each time a cookie or most other Tracking Technologies is being set (other than Flash cookies), or you can choose to turn off such warnings. This is done through your browser on the device you use to access the Thegratefulchild Sites. Additional information on warnings and removal of warnings may be available through your browser’s support feature.
Please note that deleting, rejecting, disabling or turning off Tracking Technologies through the above options will not remove Flash cookies. For more information about Flash cookies and how to remove them from your computer, please click here.
Do-Not-Track Signals and Similar Mechanisms. Some web browsers may transmit “do-not-track” signals to the websites with which the browser communicates. Because of differences in how web browsers incorporate and activate this feature, it is not always clear whether users intend for these signals to be transmitted, or whether they even are aware of them. There currently is disagreement, including among participants in the leading Internet standards-setting organization, concerning what, if anything, websites should do when they receive such signals. We currently do not take action in response to these signals, but, if and when a final standard is established and accepted, we may reassess how to respond to these signals.
- Electronic Newsletters: Visitors can provide their email addresses to receive email newsletters and promotions from the Thegratefulchild. Visitors may change their preferences regarding emails at any time through the unsubscribe link in the newsletters or, for certain Thegratefulchild Sites, by logging into and changing the preferences for their account.
When visitors to Thegratefulchild Sites that are directed to children under 13 ask to receive our email newsletter(s), they will be asked to provide their first name, email address and the email address of their parent/guardian. We will send the child’s parent/guardian a notification email informing them of the child’s request to receive by email the newsletter on an ongoing basis and give the parent/guardian the option to have his or her child’s information removed from our newsletter database. The link to remove the child’s information will expire approximately 48 hours from the time it is sent, but at any time after receiving this notification email, the child’s parent/guardian may request that we stop sending the child the newsletter(s) by following the “unsubscribe” instructions found at the end of any of the newsletter emails. Parents/guardians may at any time review any personally identifiable information collected online about their child. See section V(B) below. When a child provides a parent’s/guardian’s email address when signing up for newsletter(s), that email address is used to send the notification email message and is subsequently deleted from our system.
- DISCLOSURE TO THIRD PARTIES.
We may share your information with third parties for the limited purposes described below. In the U.S., parents of children under the age of 13 have the option of consenting to the collection and use of their child’s personal information without consenting to the disclosure of that information to certain third parties.
- Law Enforcement and Safety.
If you have concerns about the conduct of a particular user, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information collected through the Thegratefulchild Sites may be transferred, disclosed or shared with third parties engaged by us to handle and deliver certain activities, such as message boards, sweepstakes and contests, e-cards, payment processing, newsletters, and advisory boards, and to perform other technical and processing functions, such as sending postal mail and email, maintaining data integrity, programming operations, user services or technology services. We may provide these third parties information collected as needed to perform their functions, but they are prohibited from using it for other purposes and specifically agree to maintain the confidentiality of such information. Some of these agents, such as payment processors, may request additional information during the course of offering their services. Before you provide additional information to third party agents, we encourage visitors to review their privacy policies and information collection practices
2. With Your Consent; information can be release for public research. This does not include name/email address/ or pictures.
We may otherwise disclose your information pursuant to your consent.
III. U.S. GOVERNING LAW.
The Thegratefulchild Sites are designed for and targeted to U.S. audiences and are governed by and operated in accordance with the laws of the U.S. While users from countries other than the U.S. may access certain of the Thegratefulchild Sites, we make no representation that the Thegratefulchild Sites are operated in accordance with the laws or regulations of, or governed by, other nations.
If you are located outside of the U.S., you use this Site at your own risk and initiative and you, not us, are responsible for compliance with any applicable local and national laws. Please be aware that any personal information and other information you provide to us or we obtain as a result of your use of this Site shall be collected in the U.S. and/or transferred to the U.S. and subject to U.S. law.
- SECURITY, STORAGE AND RETENTION OF INFORMATION.
The Thegratefulchild Sites maintain reasonable technical and organizational steps to help ensure that information collected is secure, including limiting the number of people who have physical access to our database servers and use of electronic security systems and password protections which guard against unauthorized access. The Thegratefulchild Sites conduct financial transactions via secured transmissions. We limit access to visitor’s information to employees and contractors who are authorized for the proper handling of such information, and any employee found violating our standards of security and confidentiality will be subject to our disciplinary processes. We also take reasonable steps to help make sure our third-party agents protect the security of your personal information. However, as with most Internet sites or services, it is possible that third parties may unlawfully access such personal information through a number of means despite our efforts.
- ACCESSING AND CORRECTING INFORMATION.
- Reviewing Your Information
You have the right to access, update and correct factual inaccuracies in personally identifiable information that we collect online at the Thegratefulchild Sites, subject to certain exceptions. To do so, you should log into your account or you may e-mail us at email@example.com. To help protect your privacy and the security of your personally identifiable information, we will take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting access.
- Parental Access
Parents/guardians of children under the age of 13 can print out and mail or fax us a signed form that allows them to review any personally identifiable information collected about their child, have this information deleted, and/or request that there be no further collection or use of their child’s personally identifiable information. You can download the form here. We will take steps to verify the identity of anyone requesting personally identifiable information about a child and to ensure that the person is in fact the child’s parent or legal guardian.
- ONLINE SAFETY.
Some of the Thegratefulchild Sites offer you and your child an online safety guide which we encourage you to use as starting point for discussing safety and privacy concerns with your child. Of course, involvement in your family’s online lives is the most important safety tool available. Some of the various guides are available here:
VII. LINKS TO THIRD PARTIES.
The websites that comprise the Thegratefulchild Sites may contain links to other sites, including those of sponsors, advertisers, social networking platforms, and survey companies. These other websites are governed by their own privacy policies or information collection practices, which may be substantially different from ours. We encourage visitors to other websites to review the privacy policies and information collection practices of those websites.
VIII. YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS.
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits our visitors who are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to or write us: firstname.lastname@example.org email, or you may contact us via regular mail at:
Nick.com CA Privacy Coordinator
New York, New York 10036
- CONTACT US
If you have any other questions about our information handling practices, including our practices with respect to children’s personal information, or would like further information regarding the Thegratefulchild Sites that are directed to children under 13 years of age, please contact us at:
Nick.com CA Privacy Coordinator
c/o Thegratefulchild Online
New York, New York 10036
Or email us at:
Or call this number:
Other corporate affiliates may collect or maintain information through the Thegratefulchild Sites.